Quick Links

CACREP > For Students > Getting Licensed After You Graduate

Getting Licensed After You Graduate

Information on State Licensing Boards

Each State Board has different processes and requirements for obtaining a counseling license.  Although graduation from a CACREP program does not guarantee you will be eligible for licensure, most states recognize what a CACREP degree contains. You will need to take the state’s licensure exam and complete the necessary number of post-graduate supervised hours in order to be fully licensed.

We have provided some resources below to help you contact the right office to get answers for your state.

For Licensure as a professional counselor, mental health counselor, marriage, couple and family counselor and/or addictions counselor:

The American Counseling Association publishes Licensure Requirements for Professional Counselors: A state-by-state report which lists licensing requirements in each state as well as contact information for the state board.

The American Association of State Counseling Boards has information about requirements in their member states.

The National Board for Certified Counselors also lists information about state licensure on its website.

For Licensure or Certification as a Professional School Counselor:

States regulate professional school counselors through their departments of education, in the same way they license or certify teachers.  The American Counseling Association publishes a booklet called, A Guide to State Laws and Regulations on Professional School Counseling.  You can call them at 1-800-347-6647 to purchase a copy.