Vision, Mission and Core Values
The vision of CACREP is to provide leadership and to promote excellence in professional preparation through the accreditation of counseling and related educational programs. As an accrediting body, CACREP is committed to the development of standards and procedures that reflect the needs of a dynamic, diverse, and complex society. CACREP is dedicated to
- encouraging and promoting the continuing development and improvement of preparation programs; and
- preparing counseling and related professionals to provide services consistent with the ideal of optimal human development.
CACREP maintains collaborative relationships with other groups that focus on accreditation, licensing, certification, and the professional development of counselors and related practitioners.
The mission of CACREP is to promote the professional competence of counseling and related practitioners through
- the development of preparation standards;
- the encouragement of excellence in program development; and
- the accreditation of professional preparation programs.
In March 2002, the CACREP Board of Directors developed this Statement of Core Values to provide additional clarification and support for the existing Mission and Vision statements.
The CACREP Board of Directors believes in
- advancing the counseling profession through quality and excellence in counselor education;
- ensuring a fair, consistent, and ethical decision-making process;
- serving as a responsible leader in protecting the public;
- promoting practices that reflect openness to growth, change and collaboration; and,
- creating and strengthening standards that reflect the needs of society, respect the diversity of instructional approaches and strategies, and encourage program improvement and best practices.